Mar 5, 2008

What's with the girl thing.

Okay, I played CW again. Another WFC connection. He was beating me bad. My phone rang and I lost my connection with CW. I guess that's a glitch in the technology, a little "airwave" issue. I tried to get back on. I tried for several minutes to no avail. By the time I got on the phone to tell CW that I was having connectivity issues he was already in the "Bubbles." (taking his bath) His Mom said that CW announced that I quit because I was losing and so he was going to get ready for bed. Another date is set for tomorrow. I'm feeling a little video game "challenged" about now. And I must admit I'm wondering about the strangeness of this social interaction. The DS has a built in microphone which is only operative on some games. I wish it was operative for all the games. When I'm playing with CW it feels really strange not to be able to interact verbally with him. I think it would add to the experience.

Anyway, I decided that I was really going to practice tonight instead and get ready for the match with CW tomorrow. I concentrated on the "physics" of driving and really tried to hug the corners on the race tracks, go in straight lines from one corner to the next when possible. I find it really difficult to use the two screens on the DS although they provide really good support. This game has great feedback in numerous formats. I find this feedback very motivational. It's great to see yourself on top of the ranking and scoring lists. I especially like it when I win a trophy. (Truly) And I am annoyed when I get a "B" ranking. The notion of "other" and the personification of the DS as my competitor is interesting and troubling at the same time. Remember, I am really a first time gamer here (other than tetris-really) so this all news to me.

I am also surprising myself with my connection to Super Princess Peach. (Silly, but true) She is my preferred driver. I think I score better when Super Princess Peach is in the driver's seat. I'm going to think some more about this emotional connection and the relationship to motivation and ultimately performance. Hopefully this coming week's readings which focus on gender and gaming will shed some light and understanding.

No comments:

Most Frequently Mentioned Video Game

On Thursday 2/06/08 I conducted a survey asking 39 first and second grade boys and girls which video games they liked to play. Eighty-Five percent (85%) mentioned this game. Click on the PLAY link below to play a version of this very popular game.