Mar 2, 2008

March 2, 2008: Setting up a DS Friend



Today I invited CW, a 7 year old boy, former kindergarten student of mine, to be my Mario Kart friend, complete with a bribe included (his very own Mario Kart DS game.) Naturally he obliged. CW came over to my house (his choice) to get us started. We played a series of Multiplayer games. Multiplayer games allow you to connect to several friends in the same location. The photo above shows some college students exercising the same feature. It's really quite cool and you can include up to eight friends at a time. A Mario Kart Party! Very nerdy, but fun. Of course, I let him win. My plan was to "bait and switch." Later in the evening we tried to connect from our respective homes. The telephone was our communication backup. I encountered some difficulty making a connection to the WiFi system. This experience offered much frustration, in the form of "Is it working yet? Can you see me?" At one point CW offered "Let me walk you through the process. Listen to me." This was clearly a boy that was technologically savvy, and understood the sometimes exasperating experiences that stem from computer technology confusion. After a fruitless half hour CW declared that this "was not going to work and we should just hang up and try tomorrow." After all, it was his bedtime. We hung up. Subsequently, I dialed the 1-800 number provided on the very helpful Nintendo DS website and managed to clear up the issue, (WEP instead of WFP.) I was able to reset my wireless network and we were good to go for Monday.

No comments:

Most Frequently Mentioned Video Game

On Thursday 2/06/08 I conducted a survey asking 39 first and second grade boys and girls which video games they liked to play. Eighty-Five percent (85%) mentioned this game. Click on the PLAY link below to play a version of this very popular game.